Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Together on Tuesday: Foodies Gather Round...this is OUR Week!

Happy Tuesday, Readers!  We all know that I am like a Guppy in that I will literally eat until I die (I don't even know if that is actually true about Guppies, thats just something I have always heard), and today is one of my favorite topics...food! 

What are your favorite restaurants, and why do you love them? 

Typically, Mark and I both prefer to find unique places to eat as opposed to chain restaurants.  We do the chain restaurants, but mostly when it is more convenient, or we are feeling too cheap to drop a few extra bucks to go to one of our more unique restaurants.  When we are on vacation we try to NEVER eat at chain restaurants, because we can eat at those places anytime at home.  We feel like part of vacation is trying new things that we can't do at home.  We love trying new food, and that has led us to discover some really great restaurants in lots of different places.  Once in Virginia Beach, we decided that for lunch, we were just going to hop from place to place ordering an appetizer and drinks.  Very fun.  Try it sometime!

**Note:  All of mine listed below are located in Louisville, KY**

Dinner

Havana Rumba: Traditional Cuban full-plate meals.  Absolutely divine!    Even better and more convenient since they opened a second location to handle the high demand.  We have not ordered anything there that isn't absolutely delicious.  Our favorite server there is Maggie (at the new Shelbyville Road location), we adore Maggie and I get the feeling that given the opportunity Maggie could Tequila drink both Mark and I under the table!  She always remembers us, and is slowly teaching us a little bit of Spanish as we see her.  I can tell you that learning Spanish after a couple Margaritas is HILARIOUS.  I think she is doing it more to entertain herself than to actually teach us Spanish!

Mojito's:  The sister restaurant to Havana Rumba.  Same owners.  However, Mojito's specializes in traditional Cuban Tapas style fare.  Tapas style really works well for Mark and I, because sometimes we prefer to try lots of different things, rather than just a regular meal.  I can honestly tell you that Mojito's has some of the best tasting morsels that I have ever had.  If I were marooned on an island and could only bring two (selfishly, I cannot pick just one) foods, I would bring the Chicken and Ham Croquettes and the Steak Chimichurri from Mojitos...mmm....  As a side note, according to Mark, they have the best Mojitos in town! 

Saki Blue:  I am going to stick my neck out there and say that, in my opinion, Saki Blue is the best Sushi in Louisville.  High quality, great atmosphere, and if you go on Thursday evening you can catch some great music by our friend Odeen Mays.  Also, I believe that every Tuesday is 'Penny Saki Night'.  Yep, a regular size Saki for a penny.  For the non-Saki drinkers like myself...I have suggested a 'Penny Martini Night'...not holding my breath on that one though!  We typically sit in the regular restaurant area and order Sushi, but they do have a section with Hibachi grills. 

Lunch

Bendoya: A great place for Sushi lunch downtown.  Great sushi, great price.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays Sushi rolls are buy one get one free.  So you can get a lot of sushi for around $10 (or less depending on what you get). 

Safier:  Traditional Mediterranean.  I am pretty much stuck (because it is SO good, I haven't been able to move on yet) on ordering the Tawook platter (chicken on a stick...I have learned by going here that by definition 'kabob' means beef...not 'on a stick', like I thought, so if you go there an order 'kabob' you will get beef on a stick - if you try and order 'chicken kabob' you will learn that there is no such thing, LOL!). 

Chick-fil-A:  one of the chain places that I LOVE, and nearly the only fast food that I eat anymore.  Sorry KFC...you don't have anything on Chick-fil-A.  Additionally...am I the only one who thinks that their workers are SO much friendlier than any other fast food place?

Sol Aztecas:  Great Mexican food.  On a nice day, it is a great little walk (but not too far) from the office.  They do have outdoor seating if the weather is right.  One of our favorites.  Other Tuesday Blogger Tish and I go there often for lunch.  Typically when it is warm, but sometimes in the winter we have a craving and brave the cold for a Sol Aztecas fix.  I could literally sit there and eat all day!  Also, if you go there for dinner (or you are afforded the luxury...we are not...of a drink on the lunch hour), the Margaritas are also really great!

Just for Drinks

60 West Martini Bar:  HUGE martini list.  A lot of times (including Saturday evenings!) are $5 martini specials.  Enough said.

Ri Ra:  I think this might actually be a chain, I seem to think that I have seen or heard of them in other cities.  But, they make my list because they serve my favorite vodka, Ciroc.  It is difficult to find a restaurant or bar in Louisville that carries Ciroc.  I am a vodka snob and typically have to settle, but Ri Ra has Ciroc, so they make the drink list, just for that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In looking back at my list of favorites, I love that most of them are international foods.  I can eat a sandwich or whatever at home.  If I am going out to spend my hard-earned loot on a meal, I like to make it something neat and unique.  If you are not familiar with very much international fare, then I challenge you to try something new.  What is the worst that can happen?  You don't like it and end up eating something else.  That's a small risk for opening up literally a world of possibilities!

Enough from the Crazy Dog Lady...what are your favorite restaurants?  Why are they a favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree about the Chik Fil A staff. They are so friendly. I love going there.

    ReplyDelete