Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Together on Tuesday takes the Gold!!




It is probably apparent from my title that this week we are writing about the Olympics.  Do we watch them?  What do we think about them? What Olympic sport would you do? 

Summer Olympics
Well, I'm going to probably start right off spoiling my entry this week...as I mentioned in a previous entry (ToT: Brain Download!) I just don't care for the summer Olympics...so in the spirit of being honest, I admit that I did not watch one single minute of the summer Olympics this year.  There.  I said it.  Go ahead, hate on me for a little bit...then come back finish reading.  I understand.  I just don't have a Summer Olympic event that I am attached to - it just isn't there.  I would have enjoyed the opening ceremonies, but I was on a plane from Germany back to the U.S. during that...I think...those few days are a little fuzzy because of all the travelling we were doing.  Although, I must say that from seeing some of the news coverage during the Olympics that I was completely shocked at how scandalous the sport of Badminton could be.  Who knew?  Until now, I thought that the only thing that could even remotely be controversial about Badminton was their use of the word 'shuttlecock'...

However, not having even watched the Olympics, and going only by news coverage I still managed, like the rest of the world, to just fall in love with Gabby Douglas.  Be sure you check out Tish's blog over at Just Gets Sweeter to read about her connection to Gabby! 



I actually much prefer the summer X Games over the summer Olympics.  I think the events in the summer X Games are more exciting.  Plus they have motorized sports, like moto-cross races and stunt competitions and things like that.  This year, X Games upped the excitement with the live Hot Wheels Double Loop Challenge.  My mom and I saw this live on TV the day they did it (poor Mark, he kept waiting to see it, then had to leave and missed seeing it live by less than five minutes).  They make it look so effortless, but can you imagine if one teeny little thing had gone wrong??  Whew...and no, I will NOT be trying that one in the Sentra, LOL!

I really had a moment of pride this summer when I realized that my mother who is in her 60's and I were sitting there watching the X Games BMX Bike competition - and we were BOTH really enjoying it.  My proudest moment was when my mother said, 'that kid is just trying to look like Shawn White'...OMG...my mom knows who Shawn White is...awesomeness points for MY Mom!!

Yes...this sweet lady holding her tiny dog in a basket:


really enjoyed watching this:


I was as surprised as the rest of you!

Winter Olympics
Okay...so here is my chance to redeem myself with you guys...I LOVE the winter Olympics...did you hear that??  I LOVE THE WINTER OLYMPICS!!  Everything from the skiing, snowboarding, speed skating, luge, to the curling...YES...the curling!  During the last winter Olympics I had a random day off, and me and Eli (we did not have Austin yet) were fixated on the winter Olympics.  As I mentioned in the Brain Download blog entry...would it be weird, or just wrong to take a day or two off just to watch the winter Olympics??  I think not.  Mark probably wouldn't take a vacation day for that (I get a lot more vacay days than he does), so it would be me and the dogs cuddled up on the couch with our blankets watching.  Can't wait! 

Most certainly if I were going to be an Olympic athlete, my sport would be would be from the winter Olympics.  I think figure skating would be fun and it is a little more artistic than some of the other winter Olympic sports, so I would probably pick that...minus Tonya Harding's bodyguard and his baseball bat, of course.

And yes, you probably figured that I also really enjoy the winter X Games as well!

What about you?  What do you love/hate about the Olympics?  Did you watch? 

1 comment:

  1. Your mom knows who Shawn White is...that just made my day. I loved your post! I'm looking forward to next week:)

    ReplyDelete